Cat & Dog Teeth Cleaning in Mint Hill, NC
Does your pet have bad breath? Contrary to popular belief, “dog breath” isn’t normal; it usually indicates dental disease. More than half of all cats and dogs have early signs of dental disease by the time they are three years old. This disease can cause discomfort that significantly lowers your pet’s quality of life. Over time, it can even affect their overall health. Yet, this disease is entirely preventable! With regular dental care at home coupled with professional cat and dog teeth cleaning services at our animal hospital in Mint Hill, we can prevent dental disease altogether.
Our Cat & Dog Teeth Cleaning Procedures
About two-thirds of each of your pet’s teeth reside below the gum line, and it is tartar build-up in these areas that is primarily responsible for dental diseases like gingivitis (gum inflammation) and periodontal disease. Yet, in order to safely and thoroughly clean the teeth, it’s essential to use general anesthesia. Rest assured that we use the same safety procedures we use for any surgery.
Our teeth cleaning procedures include:
- Digital dental X-rays to examine the health of teeth and roots below the gum line
- A thorough evaluation, checking for signs of diseases like periodontal pockets
- Ultrasonic and hand scaling to remove tartar above and below the gum line
- Polishing to smooth the enamel and reduce future tartar build-up
- Extractions of damaged or broken teeth if needed*
*Extractions are a last resort for teeth damaged beyond repair. With a proactive approach to dental care, these can be avoided.